Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro

Zinc

Like Scalo, Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro is located in Albuquerque's Nob Hill district. Also like Scalo, the folks at Zinc know what they are doing when it comes to wine glasses. After all, nothing is worse than a tiny little wine glass filled to the brim. Having made it through a long day, I was more than ready for a drink, and thank God they had proper wine glasses.

The scene at Zinc is warm and refreshingly easy, despite its being described on their web site as being one of Albuquerque's "classiest" restaurants. The open kitchen creates energy on the main floor and the loft provides a nice view of the action. With fresh cut flowers in galvanized buckets lining the stairs, the loft is the ideal spot for a romantic dinner.

Zinc prides itself on supporting local, organic farmers whenever possible. On Saturday nights they also offer live music. All of their wines by the glass are available in a 3-ounce “1/2 glass portion”, as well as a full glass, half bottle equivalent and full bottle.

Peju

Peju Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley - $10

It has been too long since I've had a glass of Peju. I savored every minute of it.

The menu at Zinc had some really fabulous looking entrees and seasonal favorites but I decided to keep it simple with a couple of appetizers. I was, however, a little peeved when I heard my server offering a couple seated next to me a 3-course tasting menu after I'd already placed my order. How did I miss out on the courses pitch?

Herb Marinated Goat Cheese

Herb Marinated Goat Cheese, Olives & Roasted Garlic - $8

Served with Zinc's house made Sardinan flatbread this appetizer was huge and delicious. I wish J had been there to share it with me.

Smoked Trout & Potato Pancakes

Smoked Trout & Potato Pancakes with Creme fraiche and black truffle vinaigrette - $9

Another appetizer that I would've liked to share with J. A little trout goes a long way; a lot of trout is just plain fishy. This stack of poisson was a bit much for one.

Not a bad dinner for $30. If you are in Albuquerque, be sure to check it out. Have a glass of Peju for me!

- K


Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro
Nob Hill District
3009 Central Ave. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
(505)-254-ZINC (9462)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mica said...

I'm so glad I found your website. I live in SLC and have loved reading your reviews of some old favorites and some new ones to me as well. I travel to ABQ on business as well and hit Zinc every time.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home