Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tulie Bakery

Tulie Bakery Exterior.JPG

I observed several days of mourning when I learned Salt Lake City chocolatier Xocolate had decided to close its doors. Not only had their chocolates become a staple in my food pyramid, I'd also been impressed with the tasteful way Xocolate's owners had given an old building a contemporary makeover. Since Xocolate said "no mas" last April I have been anxious to see who would move into the lovely space, and what they would do with it.

And so I was thrilled when I began seeing signs around town announcing that Tulie Bakery would be going into the north of ninth and ninth spot. Ever a sweet-tooth, I have long felt that Salt Lake City just does not have enough quality bakeries. With their advertisement of fresh, quality pastries--and being open on Sundays no less--Tulie Bakery sounded promising from their fliers alone.

The cute new bakery must have opened sometime within the past week, and so today I made a beeline for the sweet spot, picking up a couple croissants and a little coconut cream tart. I was a little surprised when the trio ran me $13, but as we soon discovered, Tulie Bakery is worth every penny.

Tulie Bakery Croissant.JPG
Croissant - $3.25

At $3.25 each the croissants are pricey, but they are also nearly double the size of others around town. Nestled within a crusty, toasty exterior are layers of soft, buttery pastry. These delectable croissants reminded us of those found in a little bakery in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

IMG_2851.JPG

Coconut Cream Tart.JPG
Coconut Cream Tart - $6.25

Fortunately for me, J is not big on sweets, so I had this entire treat to myself. It tasted fresh and subtle: not too rich and not too sweet.

Tart2.JPG

In addition to these fabulous finds, Tulie Bakery offers elegant cakes, cupcakes, morning pastries and coffee. The friendly woman at the counter explained that two sisters have opened the joint, which just makes me all the more excited to plunk down future earnings there.

- K

Tulie Bakery
863 East 700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
801.883.9741

View Google Maps

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

No reviews in months and then two in two days! Seriously I enjoy your write-ups, looking forward to lots more.

Thought you might want to know, I set-up a discussion forum for SLC foodies a week or two back. Come and sign-up and chat about all things foodie SLC with us:

http://www.gastronomicslc.com/forum

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

8:20 PM  
Blogger Sara Z. said...

I can't believe Xocolate came and went before I got to it. I need a) pay more attention, and b) remember to actually GO to Tulie, since I'll be driving by it almost every day. (Though that didn't seem to work to get me into Xocolate...lesson of the day: I snooze, I lose.)

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying reading your reviews for food around SLC. Have you guys tried Bangkok Thai Talay on Highland? They seem to be understaffed, but the food is worth it. I'll have to check out Tulie this weekend.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently had the priviledge of ordering and consuming (with friends) two of Tulie's specialty cakes-- and let me say they were the most delicious bakery items that any of us had eaten in at least a decade. The attention to detail, inside and out, was superb in terms of taste and style. The owner/baker of this new Salt Lake City "must visit" should feel very proud... they have hit a grand slam.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the master baker behind this amazing new bakery??? Does anybody know?

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fresh fruit tart was ok I had some rasberries that was molding and ater paying 7 bucks I expected something better. I also had a problem with the guy behind the counter he stank of cigarettes I seen he outside smoking just beore I came in and then when he entered he did not wash his hands he make the whole place smell of smoke I did not even want anything in the open.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went in to go on monday the card i recieved said it was open every day but it was closed so I came back on tuesday to support the local business it was awful the coffee was awful the baristas had no clue what they where doing and the slice of carrot cake that I ordered tasted like a freezer I will not recomend this place to anyone you love perhaps an enemy!

9:29 AM  
Blogger h.j.k. jones said...

After being intrigued by public radio underwriting ads touting Tulie's "glazed gingerbread tiles" for the holidays, I decided to stop in for a taste. I'm pleased to report that the "tiles" are nothing like their ceramic namesakes: beautifully crafted in an elegant fruit-and-bird motif, they are heavy yet moist, boldly spiced, and rustically finished in just the right amount of confectioner's icing. Although it sounds from other comments that Tulie may have some consistency/quality issues, I'd definitely return in search of another unusual treat.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delight to have found Tulie! My Christmas Eve morning began with an awesome croissant. Best since Left Bank of Paris...
and the chocolate 'bites' that are glazed with ganache addressed by craving for 'just a bite'!

Add this one to your SLC 'Local Favorites'!

7:56 AM  
Blogger K and J said...

Somehow I missed the glazed gingerbread tiles this season but they sound delicious! I too have found some inconsistencies at Tulie, like visiting the bakery on a Monday to buy treats for colleagues, only to find them closed. I imagine that like opening any new business they are still working out a few kinks and trying to find out what is going to work best. A former employee recently dished some pretty eye-opening comments on Craiglist, making me curious to watch this one in the coming year. For the sake of my croissant fix, I certainly hope they make it!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Netts Nook said...

Salt Lake Cook here time to check it out Thanks.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not enjoy it I had a major problem with latte it was not hot at all I got a slice of chocolate cake but it tasted like a freezer the service was ok.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I was there on an off day for the croissants, but the one I had was supersized beyond belief (who wants to eat that much butter) and weighted about 5 pounds. I needed a pick ax to get through the crust. Nothing like the light and flaky croissants I am used to at Les Madelaines OR in Paris for that matter. I'm going to give it another try, but please lighten up on the croissants!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home