Sunday, April 01, 2007

Lamb Pita with Yoghurt Sauce

Lamb Pita Sandwich

K is out of town for a week and I am left to my own devices, which generally means that I eat at the taco carts that are randomly scattered around downtown. She is not a huge fan of the lengua, carnitas, or other various tacos being served from these mobile eateries, so I get my fill when she is out of town. This weekend is different though...okay, I still did go to the taco cart, but I also made good use of some leftover lamb. I loved the Morgan Valley Lamb Sirloin so much that I made it again, and since I am alone I had plenty of leftovers. I figured I'd make a greek-style pita, which seemed like the perfect way to use a few slices of flavorful lamb sirloin.

I didn't want to use some crappy pita that has been sitting around on a store shelf for God-knows-how-long, so I found a quick and easy recipe for pita bread at What's4Eats, and baked up a few fluffly warm pitas. I filled the pitas with some breath-killing yoghurt sauce, tomatoes, red onions and mesculin lettuce and had my own "greek taco"...no cart needed.

Recipe:

Warm pita bread (click here for recipe)
Sliced lamb leftovers (from previous recipe)
1/2 Cup Greek-style yoghurt
2 cloves garlic crushed
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup cubed cucumber
1/2 small red onion sliced
1 tomato diced
handful of lettuce (season with salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil)

Process:

Mix yoghurt, garlic, lemon zest and cucumber in a mixing bowl and let rest for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pita bread and reheat lamb sirloin slices. When pita is finished baking serve with two Tbsp of the yoghurt sauce, diced tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. You can stuff ingredients into the pita...or eat "taco style" like I did.

Bon Appetit.

-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home